Unlike most of the country, I went to work today. Woe is me. This recipe was the result of post work starvation and a certain amount of day dreaming about kumara on the car trip home. I am afraid I frequently possess the kind of hunger that cannot be satisfied by cold food; I require warm starches to soothe my own particular beast.
Stuffed Kumara with Ham and Feta
2 moderate kumara (sweet potato for our non kiwi friends)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 C milk 1/2-1 C diced ham (or bacon/sausage/cat food - this dish is built to use up leftovers)
50g feta crumbled, some reserved for topping
fresh herbs - parsley, thyme, sage - to taste
unsweetened yoghurt and extra parsley to serve
Carefully, without blistering the palms of your hands, spoon the steaming flesh out of the now softened kumara into a large bowl without gouging holes in the skins as you will need them later. Mash the innards until smooth, add the oil and milk to get your preferred consistency, do not lose sleep over lumps, it's not that kind of food.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix through lightly - you still want lumps of cheese so don't go getting too heavy handed. Spoon back into the skins, top with the remaining feta and finish off under the grill until the cheese just starts to catch.
Top with unsweetened yoghurt - feel free to use sour cream but it is currently post xmas and
I fear if I go to the beach someone will try to refloat me.
For an entirely authentic experience you should fluff around trying to take pictures of your snack for a good 15 minutes before you sit down to eat.
ENJOY
2 comments:
This looks simple and delicious. I think I would prefer the sans cat food version though. Too funny!
Well naturally the cat food is an optional extra!
Post a Comment